You are here >> Home
and Information security>> Network
A micro computer consists of a microprocessor ie a cpu on a microchip, memory in the form of ROM or RAM and a motherboard. Many
organizations rely on microcomputers, they loose the control of information processing.
Microcomputer security controls the work with different set of variables than the traditional ways of mainframes. Microcomputers have security problems to be noted before installing security measures. These problems can include data communication, software, hardware, networking etc.
Disc locks helps to prevent access to hard drives and disk drives.
1. The use of unauthorized software may produce the following technical consequences:
a. Render a system inoperable because of software incompatibility.
b. Lack of technical support in diagnosing and resolving problems.
c. Introduce a computer “virus” into the system that could cause major damage to or destruction of files and programs. All diskettes brought in from outside sources must be scanned for viruses before they may be used in the bureau’s systems.
2. Observe copyright laws
. Only one backup or working copy of each software package can be made unless otherwise stipulated in the purchase agreement. Failure to observe the copyright laws could result in consequences ranging from embarrassment to lawsuits, fines, imprisonment, and agency disciplinary action. Copyright laws apply to federal agencies just as they do the private business sector.
3. Store all licensed software in a secure location to protect against unauthorized copying.
4. Store one copy of all user-written production software in a secure off-site location.
Some guidelines to assist you in preserving your information:
1. Protect the confidentiality of sensitive information when viewing on-line. Be aware of the visibility of data on your PC or terminal display screen. Be aware of and challenge all unauthorized persons in your work area.
2. Control access to your system. Never leave an active terminal unattended. Log-off completely or exit applications when leaving your workstation for breaks, lunch, and before leaving for the day.
3. Store original software diskettes in a safe and secure location.
4. Where possible, utilize password protection software and hardware key locks to protect entry into your PC.
5. If you suspect someone has tampered with your files or the data in them, report it immediately. Whether directed against you or not, abuse or misuse of your computer resources can hinder the timely completion of your assigned job responsibilities.
BACKING UP DATA
All of your data file should be saved to the ARC network. A daily backup is performed on these files on the network servers that could prevent the loss of information resulting from a bolt of lightning, unexpected equipment failure, a malicious hacker or an ignorant user. However, YOU, the PC user, have complete responsibility for the control, security and backup of all information residing on your PC. Unless proper backup procedures are followed, information could be lost and all of your efforts could be gone in a matter of seconds!
Passwords are used to control access to a microcomputer or the data stored on a fixed disk.
The performance of your PC or terminal is affected by environmental factors like excessive heat or cold, power interruptions and natural and man-made factors. Listed below are housekeeping activities that you, as the user, are expected to perform daily in order to help maintain the performance level of your PC or terminal:
Related Topics on Computer and
- Firewall Protection
- Network Port
- Network Tools
- Types of attacks
- Systems Protection
- Mail and Security
- Hostile Software
For more topics and tutorials visit -
Computer And Information Security
CCTV, Surveillance Systems, Equipment & Components
Access Control Components, Equipment And Systems
Alarms, Burglar, Electronic Systems, Equipment & Components
Fire Protection, Detection & Controls
Perimeter Security, Fences, Ballistic
Security & Specialty Services
Security Design Services
Products for :-
information on security services, guarding services,
investigators, detectives and security systems. We also have a
online directory guide of the companies providing services the
above services in different states of India like Delhi, Mumbai,
Gurgaon, Banglore, Noida etc.
|A Directory on Insurance as well as
Insurance related topics updated to the latest. A
total solutions site for your basic to advanced
a loan? Learn the pros and cons for taking a loan and lots of
information for your finance problems.
a trip to India! Visit the beautiful, culture rich country
having diverse climates, castes, languages and creed. Each
visit will add a new experience in your life, select your tour
and make a trip to India with us